Schools to Feel Effects of $30 Billion Cut Immediately

coats-arms.jpg

TANYA PLIBERSEK MP

DEPUTY LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

SHADOW MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MEMBER FOR SYDNEY

 

KATE ELLIS MP

SHADOW MINISTER FOR EDUCATION

SHADOW MINISTER FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD

MEMBER FOR ADELAIDE

 

MEDIA RELEASE 

SCHOOLS TO FEEL EFFECTS OF $30 BILLION CUT IMMEDIATELY

 

TUESDAY, 20 MAY 2014

Teachers, parents, students and schools are bracing themselves for the worst after Tony Abbott announced a $30 billion cut to education in last week’s Budget.

 

Today Deputy Leader of the Opposition, Tanya Plibersek, and Shadow Minister for Education, Kate Ellis, visited Sturt St Community School in Adelaide to talk to students.

“These young students are the ones that will be hit hard by the Abbott Government’s biggest ever cut to education,” Tanya Plibersek said.

“Tony Abbott and his ministers have tried to play down the effects of the cut, saying it won’t hit schools until 2017, but this is simply wrong”.

“Schools need certainty in their funding for planning, for investing in teachers and for growing their school community.”

State Premiers met on Sunday with the same demand Australian schools have – reverse this $30 billion cut.

“Premiers know our schools won’t be able to sustain this massive cut, that it will absolutely devastate them,” Kate Ellis said.

When Tony Abbott promised to be on an “absolute unity ticket” with Labor on school funding, he told schools his change of mind was to “end the uncertainty”.

“All we’ve seen from this Government when it comes to education is lies, backflips and cuts – this is hardly the certainty promised to schools,” Kate Ellis said.

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman said there’s no such thing as a cut in three years. He said the ratings agencies will be asking State Premiers where the funding will come from now, and they don’t have an answer.

“The only answer is for Tony Abbott to reverse this cut and resolve the huge problem he has caused with his deceit,” Tanya Plibersek said.

 

 

Add your reaction Share

Tony Abbott's Health Cuts Hurt South Australians

coats-arms.jpg

THE HON TANYA PLIBERSEK MP

DEPUTY LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

SHADOW MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT

MEMBER FOR SYDNEY

 

THE HON AMANDA RISHWORTH MP

SHADOW PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARY FOR HEALTH

MEMBER FOR KINGSTON

 

MEDIA RELEASE

TONY ABBOTT’S HEALTH CUTS HURT SOUTH AUSTRALIANS

TUESDAY, 20 MAY 2014

Tony Abbott’s more than $50 billion Budget cut to health will have a devastating impact on services for South Australians.

As a start, Mr Abbott’s Budget has ripped $600 million from the South Australian health system over the next four years.  Because of the Abbott Government, at the end of those four years, South Australia will be the equivalent of 600 hospital beds worse off.

Tony Abbott’s Budget also cut Medicare Locals, slashing services like after hours GPs, counselling, immunisation, and Aboriginal health.  That’s put more than 3000 frontline health jobs at risk.

Today we are visiting staff at the Southern Adelaide-Fleurieu-Kangaroo Island Medicare Local to hear their concerns about the Abbott Government’s cuts.

The Southern Adelaide-Fleurieu-Kangaroo Island Medicare Local has been making a real difference to the health of the local community.  For example, its childhood immunisation program has boosted rates from 88% to above 91%.

Tony Abbott lied to South Australians when he said he wouldn’t cut health.

         Before the election:

“no cuts health”

Tony Abbott, ABC News, 6 September 2013

 

After the election:

More than $50 billion cut to health.

Tony Abbott’s Budget, 13 May 2014

 

Tony Abbott lied to South Australians when he said he wouldn’t cut Medicare Locals.

Before the election:

         “We are not shutting any Medicare Locals”

         Tony Abbott, Leaders’ Debate, 28 August 2013

 

After the election:

Every Medicare Local to close.

Tony Abbott’s Budget, 13 May 2014

Add your reaction Share

Indian Election

coats-arms.jpg

THE HON TANYA PLIBERSEK MP

DEPUTY LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

SHADOW MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT

MEMBER FOR SYDNEY

STATEMENT

INDIAN ELECTION

 

MONDAY, 19 MAY 2014

The Federal Opposition congratulates Prime Minister-elect Narendra Modi and the Bharatiya Janata Party on their success in the Indian general election.

India is the largest democracy in the world and an important partner of Australia.

India is now Australia’s largest source of permanent migration. Our countries share very special bonds forged through strong economic ties and people-to-people links.

The Federal Opposition looks forward to working with Prime Minister-elect Modi into the future.

 

 

Add your reaction Share

Abbott Cuts $560,000 from Services for the Disadvantaged

coats-arms.jpg

THE HON TANYA PLIBERSEK MP

DEPUTY LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

SHADOW MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT

MEMBER FOR SYDNEY

 

THE HON MICHAEL DANBY MP

SHADOW PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARY TO THE LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

SHADOW PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARY FOR THE ARTS

MEMBER FOR MELBOURNE PORTS

 

MEDIA RELEASE

ABBOTT CUTS $560,000 FROM SERVICES FOR THE DISADVANTAGED

 

MONDAY, 19 MAY 2014

Tony Abbott's savage Budget has hit South Melbourne hard, with all $560,000 of federal government funding cut from Reclink Australia, an organisation providing sporting and cultural activities for the disadvantaged.

Since 1990 Reclink Australia has supported people suffering from mental health problems, homelessness, substance abuse, disability, language barriers and financial difficulties. Reclink is best known for its fantastically successful Choir of Hard Knocks program. Today we met with Reclink staff and participants attending the Salvo Hawks Training Session at the Peanut Farm Reserve in St Kilda.

The Salvo Hawks were one of the first teams established to play Reclink footy.  The team has had many success stories including helping players find a pathway away from addiction.

Reclink staff spoke about their disappointment with the Budget and their concerns about the future of their services and the people who rely on them.

The Chairman of Reclink Australia told us that unless the organisation can find another $500,000, they were going to have to make some very hard decisions about where programs can continue.

Reclink Australia provides over 100,000 art and sport programs a year, both locally and across the nation.

The programs help the neediest in our community by fostering self-confidence, fighting isolation, developing skills, and establishing connections and friendships.

Reclink Australia makes a huge difference to so many lives. Its vital work deserves long-term support.  The fact it has been completely abandoned by the Government shows how little Mr Abbott cares for the most disadvantaged in our society.

Add your reaction Share

Abbott Government’s $16 billion broken promise on overseas aid hits world’s poor

 

coats-arms.jpg

The Hon Tanya Plibersek MP

Deputy Leader of the Opposition

Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Development

 

MEDIA RELEASE

 

Abbott Government’s $16 billion broken promise on overseas aid hits world’s poor

 

WEDNESDAY, 14 MAY 2014

The Abbott Government’s $16 billion in cuts to overseas aid is a broken promise that will hurt the world’s poor.

In yesterday’s Budget, Mr Abbott cut $7.6 billion from overseas aid, breaking his election promise to increase aid by the Consumer Price Index.

That is on top of a further $8.4 billion Mr Abbott has cut from overseas aid by walking away from funding he promised as late as December last year.*

This $16 billion broken promise puts many excellent overseas aid programs at serious risk.  But the Budget says nothing about exactly where the axe will fall.

Mr Abbott needs to come clean about exactly which countries and programs will miss out because of his $16 billion in broken promises.

Sixteen billion dollars in overseas aid can make a world of difference to some of the poorest countries and people on earth.  For example, it could:

  • teach 53 million people to read and write;
  • provide 3.2 billion lifesaving Malaria treatments;
  • deliver antiretroviral treatment  for 20 million people with HIV/AIDS; or
  • train 6.4 million new midwives in developing countries.

Mr Abbott’s $16 billion broken promise follows his Government’s decision to abandon poverty reduction as the focus of Australia’s aid program.

The Abbott Government said it would provide certainty on overseas aid, but all it has delivered is chaos, cuts, and broken promises.

This is a Budget of broken promises. It will seriously undermine our international standing and influence.

In contrast, the former Labor Government nearly doubled the aid budget.

* 2013-14 Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook, p21.

Add your reaction Share

Cutting the Australia Network is a Broken Promise

coats-arms.jpg

THE HON TANYA PLIBERSEK MP

DEPUTY LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

SHADOW MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MEMBER FOR SYDNEY

 

THE HON JASON CLARE MP

SHADOW MINISTER FOR COMMUNICATIONS
MEMBER FOR BLAXLAND

MEDIA RELEASE

CUTTING THE AUSTRALIA NETWORK IS A BROKEN PROMISE

 

WEDNESDAY, 14 MAY 2014

Tony Abbott’s $200 million Budget cut to the ABC’s Australia Network is a clear broken promise.

The ABC was funded to run the Australia Network.

So a cut to the Australia Network is a cut to the ABC.

Before the election Tony Abbott promised hand on heart there would be no cuts to the ABC.

He said on SBS News the night before the election:

“No cuts to education, no cuts to health, no change to pensions, no change to the GST, and no cuts to the ABC or SBS.”

The Australia Network is a vital public diplomacy tool that reaches up to 167 million households, giving Asia and the world an insight into Australian life and values.

Yesterday, Tony Abbott ripped the ABC contract to shreds and abolished the network.

Tony Abbott said there would be no cuts to the ABC.  Last night he cut the ABC showing the Australian people that they can’t believe anything he says.

 

Add your reaction Share

Kidnapping of girls in Nigeria

coats-arms.jpg

The Hon Tanya Plibersek MP

Deputy Leader of the Opposition

Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Development

  

Kidnapping of girls in Nigeria

6 MAY 2014

SYDNEY

The Labor Opposition is extremely concerned about the fate of more than 270 girls kidnapped in Nigeria.

It is reported that the kidnappers call the girls slaves and have threatened to sell girls as young as nine years old for marriage.

The situation is horrific.  It’s every parent’s worst nightmare.  Our thoughts are with the girls’ families and friends.

The President of Nigeria has called on the international community for help to rescue the girls.

The Abbott Government must do all it can to assist, including using our position on the UN Security Council to help drive an effective international response.  Labor offers every support possible.

 

Add your reaction Share

Commission of Audit gives green light to Abbott Government’s $18 billion of overseas aid cuts

coats-arms.jpg

The Hon Tanya Plibersek MP

Deputy Leader of the Opposition

Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Development

Commission of Audit gives green light to Abbott Government’s $18 billion of overseas aid cuts 

2 MAY 2014

SYDNEY

 

The Government’s razor-gang has given Mr Abbott the green light to cut more than $18 billion in aid from some of the poorest countries on earth.

All along Labor has said Mr Abbott deliberately designed the Commission of Audit to justify his deep cuts, and that’s exactly what’s happened.

On top of a massive overall funding cut, the Commission of Audit suggests reducing the number of countries that receive aid from Australia.  The Abbott Government must immediately explain which countries and programs will have their funding slashed.

Disturbingly, the Commission of Audit confirms, once and for all, that the Abbott Government has officially abandoned poverty reduction as the focus of the aid program.  If Australia’s aid program isn’t focused on things like education, health, water, or sanitation, it’s not an aid budget, it’s a trade budget.

In contrast, the former Labor Government nearly doubled the aid budget and introduced internationally recognised aid accountability and effectiveness measures.

 

Add your reaction Share

Cutting the Australia Network = A Broken Promise

coats-arms.jpg

THE HON TANYA PLIBERSEK MP

DEPUTY LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

SHADOW MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MEMBER FOR SYDNEY

 

THE HON JASON CLARE MP

SHADOW MINISTER FOR COMMUNICATIONS
MEMBER FOR BLAXLAND

MEDIA RELEASE

CUTTING THE AUSTRALIA NETWORK = A BROKEN PROMISE

 

FRIDAY, 2 MAY 2014

If Tony Abbott accepts the advice of his Commission of Audit to cut funding from the Australia Network, he will be breaking an election promise.

A cut to the Australia Network is a cut to the ABC.

Before the election Tony Abbott promised hand on heart there would be no cuts to the ABC.

He said on SBS News the night before the election:

“No cuts to education, no cuts to health, no change to pensions, no change to the GST, and no cuts to the ABC or SBS.”

The ABC is funded to run the Australia Network. If Tony Abbott cuts it, he will have broken another promise to the Australian people.

The Australia Network is a vital public diplomacy tool that reaches up to 167 million households, giving Asia and the world an insight into Australian life and values.

Tony Abbott’s Commission of Audit has recommended that funding be cut from the Australia Network.

If Tony Abbott cuts the Australia Network he will have shown you can’t believe anything he says.

 

 

Add your reaction Share

Abbott Government's ‘New Paradigm’ on Aid is Code for Cuts

coats-arms.jpg

THE HON TANYA PLIBERSEK MP

DEPUTY LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION

SHADOW MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
MEMBER FOR SYDNEY

 

MEDIA RELEASE

ABBOTT GOVERNMENT'S ‘NEW PARADIGM’ ON AID IS CODE FOR CUTS

 

WEDNESDAY 30 APRIL 2014

The 'new paradigm' on overseas aid announced by the Abbott Government last night is just code for massive cuts.

These cuts will affect some of the poorest nations and people on earth.

So far, the Abbott Government's cuts to overseas aid total around $18 billion.

The announcement of a 'new paradigm' is clearly softening the ground for more.

The Abbott Government says one thing on aid, but does the opposite.

The Abbott Government said it would provide certainty on aid funding.  Instead, it's cutting it by $18 billion.

The Abbott Government said it would focus aid on our region.  Instead, it's cut $250 million in aid from the Asia-Pacific.

Abbott Government slogans like 'new paradigm' and 'economic diplomacy’ are designed to obscure the Government’s cuts to the aid program.

The Abbott Government's 'aid for trade' agenda must not come at the expense of support for education, health, water and sanitation, gender equality, infrastructure and governance.  The aid budget must not become a trade budget.

Australia’s aid and development program is in our national interest. It enhances our international influence, helps to prevent conflict and terrorism and builds our relationships of the future.

The Abbott Government's cuts to aid jumped from $4.5 billion to $18 billion after Mr Abbott abandoned the commitment to increase aid funding from 2017-18 that was detailed in his Government’s own Budget update.

In contrast, the former Labor Government nearly doubled the aid Budget and introduced internationally recognised aid accountability and effectiveness measures.

Add your reaction Share